• Featured by Apple "Fun new way to learn math"
• Children's Technology Review Editors' Choice Award
• "Highly Recommended" - Teachers with Apps
A fun, unique, and innovative approach to math instruction for children ages 5 to 12!
Thanks to its Sandbox allowing users to create and interact with mathematical expressions freely, the application helps kids to learn and understand:
• What are addition and subtraction, visually showing them "how it works"
• What do we mean by an equality and an inequality
• What are math symbols ( +, -, =, >,<)
• How to manipulate terms of math expressions and equations (like isolating a variable or moving a number)
With hundreds of built-in exercises, children can practice mental arithmetic and learn the rules of algebra. You can even create new exercises yourself!
Mathematics education organizations strongly advocate the use of manipulatives. They believe manipulatives allow students to actively construct their own understanding of math. Math Wizard is a new generation of virtual manipulatives which allows kids to explore math concepts.
ENGAGING FOR KIDS
We took special care to make the app fun and engaging so that children love manipulating the different terms of mathematical expressions!
Many settings are available to adapt the application to the child's level, including:
• Numbers can be displayed using digits or beads that visually show the amount that numbers represent
• Voice can be enabled to read numbers and operations aloud
• Numbers available in the sandbox can be customized (the app handles positive and negative integers - up to 10 billion!)
• Choose to allow inequality or force equality
• Animation Speed
You can add as many users as you want, and view the activity history of each user
The sandbox is an open-ended activity that allows users to experiment freely with algebra rules. You can add the numbers you want, and thus create and interact with any expressions or equations you want.
For parents and educators, it's a tool to show what are addition, subtraction, equality and inequality. It also shows users how they can manipulate terms. For students, it's a tool to experiment with numbers in order to better understand "how it works."
The app contains hundreds of built-in exercises (additions, subtraction, equality, inequality, isolate a variable, brain teaser), but you can also create your own exercises!
The goal of each exercise is to reproduce an expression or equation (e.g., "3", "4=4", or "x=3") starting from another expression or equation (e.g., "1+2", "2+2=3+1", "-1+x=2"). This requires the child to interact with the numbers and operators in order to build their understanding of how algebra works (again, the child can only do what is permitted by algebra)
• Positive and negative integer numbers (up to 10 billion!)
• "x" variable
• Expressions with + and - operators
• Equality and inequality
• Division by 2
• Undo/redo operations and manipulations
• Unlimited number of users
• Record user activities
Many settings are available to customize the app, so it can fit the needs of both educators and students:
• Number display mode (beads or digits)
• Voice for numbers and operations
• Custom numbers (Sandbox)
• Do operations by dragging numbers on top of each other
• Authorize inequality
• Authorize division by 2
• Animation Speed
Feel free to send us your feedback and suggestions so we can add them to the next update! [email protected]
Have fun with algebra!